Open Source software is free for both private and commercial use. You can also redistribute these softwares as long as you abide to the GNU General Public License.
Open Source Applications (ALL 100% FREE):
OpenOffice (Open Source)
It is a nice open source alternative to Microsoft Office. The French Police is using that on their computers.
Very easy to use .Some people find it a little more difficult than Microsoft Office, but once you get used to it after a day or two you'll adopt it and save your money. Some advanced users of Excell say that Open Office cannot replace Excell.
Open Office can read and write in the same file format as Microsoft Office.
Open Office includes:
- Calc - A spreadsheet program also capable of saving spreadsheets directly as a PDF file.
- Writer - A word processor that also includes the ability to export Portable Document Format PDF, and also function as a WYSIWYG for creating websites.
- Base - A database program able to work with Access databases JET, ODBC data sources and MySQL/PostgreSQL.
- Impress - Similar to Microsoft PowerPoint, and can export to Flash SWF and PDF formats.
- Math - A tool for writing mathematical formulae, that can export to PDF.
- Draw - A vector graphics editor.
- Macro recorder - Records actions and replays them to automate tasks.
SmoothWall Express is an open source firewall distribution based on the GNU/Linux operating system. Designed for ease of use, SmoothWall is configured via a web-based GUI, and requires absolutely no knowledge of Linux to install or use.
ZoneAlarm (Free Version)
Best Free Firewall! Download ZoneAlarm free version. It is actually superior to many commercial firewalls.
I would recommend that to advanced users who would modify the code to personalise this antivirus, but I am sure they know more than me and do not need my advice. I really respect all these Open Source projects and I tought I'd throw this one too.
FileZilla is a fast FTP and SFTP client for Windows with a lot of features. It is very robust and stable and yet simple to use. Best of all it is free! That's the FTP client that I use to upload my site pages.
Linux is a free Open Source Unix based operating system. It is a very good replacement for Windows XP except if you are into gaming. It has a desktop very similar to Windows XP and comes pre-loaded with all kinds of applications.
An excellent choice if you run a small business, do programming or simply want to surf the web.
There are many different versions of Linux. At the core they are very much the same and they mainly differ by how the packages are put together.
Mandrake is one of the closest Linux systems to Windows XP, that also offers a free Version.
You will have the choice between i586 and x86-64. i586 is for 32 Bits Processors, and x86-64 for 64 Bits CPUs. If you don't know which one you have, get the i586 as you most probably have a 32 bit CPU, otherwise you would have noticed the price difference..